After a couple of mentions from other soundies- I thought I’d make something to protect my windjammers, my old one’s got a bit squashed in the back of a backpack going to and from jobs. So to protect it from knocks and keep its shape I thought putting it in some kind of tube could help.
I bought 1m of 4″ waste pipe for £10. I found, after a lot of struggling with a hacksaw that heating them up with a heat gun lets you cut through them with a knife with ease. I cut lengths a bit longer than the total length of the windshields, and then around an inch out lengthways along the pipe. At the moment they’re a tight fit (especially on the newer Rycote) and require stretching a little to get them on and off, although they seem to work.
Protip: Don’t use the microphones with the drainpipes on. They’re far from acoustically transparent and quite heavy.